Saturday 29 September 2012

Ganpati Bappa: Loved or Lost.


Modern Ganesha painted by me::Acrylic on canvas.
I faintly remember as a kid, my parents used to take my sister and me to see the Ganeshas during ganeshutsav. Those were the times when commuting across the Vashi bridge was almost like a small vacation for us. Visiting Ganesh pandals was an exciting part of our lives as kids. For me it was like an adventure looking at the well decorated and beautifully lit pandals. We used to wait amidst the lesser crowd and shorter lines as compared to today, in anticipation, waiting for a glimpse of our ganpati bappa.

I remember one particular incident when I was perched on my mom’s hand, waiting in line for one of the famous ganpatis and I was super excited as mom kept on adding on to our inquisitiveness with mythical stories of the elephant headed god. I remember mom taking me in front of the huge idol and the mystical effect it had on me. Even as a kid, I couldn’t contain my awe looking up at the soft dewy eyed god in front of me.  As we left, I was enthralled and from then on Ganesh was my favorite God.

The love continued for many years, and I used to collect Ganesh idols of every shape, size material, made some, painted loads, even carved them out of chalks. My friends knew what exactly to gift me on my birthdays. It was pure obsession.

 While returning home from work last week during a 5th Ganesh visarjan day, I was stuck in terrible traffic. There was chaos all around.Ganesh idols being taken in a truck with disco lights and Bollywood music, youth almost drunk dancing on the streets. For me it was an ugly and disgusting sight. I began to retrospect on the reverence of the festival in today’s day and age. Politicians throwing money around, with their obnoxious faces plastered on the life size posters. It made me think that would the lord really feel it was worth a visit? A day after immersion was even more pathetic, with broken lifeless pieces of the idols lying in the gutters and on the creek. It made me think, would the ignorance and callous attitude of people towards environment and other people actually appease the lord? We welcome the lord with so much love and reverence but fail to respect our social and ecological environment. People show love and respect and worship the idols, prepare elaborate delicacies to appease the god, but fail to even look at the pollution caused due to immersion of flowers, plastic bags and Plaster of Paris idols in the lakes and ocean.  Call for ecological Ganesh festivities have also seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

I haven’t visited a single pandal since last few years. I don’t think god would reside in any of them as well. I still love my bappa and today being the last day sure makes me feel a sense of sadness that my beloved god is going, but also gives me a sense of relief that the chaos will be over. My favorite childhood memories have been replaced by this disturbing reality of environment pollution and pandal politics. I say with absolute love and admiration  ”Ganpati bappa moraya “,but don’t know if I should say “come soon next year”, as I doubt that lord Ganesh would himself be pleased to come down to earth.
||एकदन्ताय वाक्रतुन्दया गौरी तानाह्या  धीमही ||
||गाजेशानया भाल्चान्द्रया श्री गणेशाय धीमही ||

7 comments:

  1. I remember those chalk carvings of yours very fondly. You had given me one and I had it for many, many years. :)

    It is so unfortunate that a festival that was meant to bring people together and to reinforce faith has now become a political weapon and showcase for vulgarity. This is a very heart-wrenching post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have moved away from the chaos of all this, I have slowly started hating it

    As a kid my favorite festival was Durga Puja and the entire package which came with Navratri, I try hard to relive those memories but they are always lost in this chaotic city...

    Even Diwali and Holi have become boring now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saee..I still carve ganpatis on chalks let me know if u want one again..:D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish people would educate themselves, but unfortunately that will never happen as people think by doing these elaborate celebrations they are washing their sins along with their Ganpati's. It's really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately we still have a large, almost a majority even, of the population that is not educated. They are focused on other aspects of celebrating rather than the consequences. Awareness can be instilled provided a group of people with similar views come together and pool in some ideas to change this. You might not make a significant difference initially but you never know what can happen.But like they say, it takes drops of water to make an ocean. Things taken up passionately can stir a ripple effect. Working smart, using the media for good, etc. If you're willing to take this beyond the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post :)
    This is not only applicable to Ganesh Festival.
    It is with each and every festival. we have lost the main purpose of celebrating festival. we have only our purpose which is our fun for celebrating festival.
    If we look history, Lonkmanya Tilak started celebration of Ganesh festival for purpose of unity between different parts of society.
    Now, The purpose is no more there, people are forced to pay money for ganesh pandal and everyone know, how money is wasted, enviroment is polluted,..
    Best way to celebrate any festival - help people in need by any means.
    Pray god from your heart. Don't look for god only in mandal or temple. God is everywhere around you, inside you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Dhaval..i agree with you completely..:)

    ReplyDelete